Hallowe’en in October, Thanksgiving in November, and Christmas in December… fall is the holiday season, and holidays are all about traditions. A quick look at some fun holiday stats shows how committed Americans are to their traditions, such as turkey at Thanksgiving, a tree at Christmastime, or traveling to visit loved ones.
- in 2018, 240 million turkeys were raised in the US, including 42.5 million in Minnesota!
- 3.5 million spectators are predicted to stand on the streets of New York City and watch the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade.
- Over 50 million Americans intend to travel more than 50 miles for Thanksgiving in 2018.
- In 2017, over 100 million Americans traveled 50 miles or more for Christmas!
Camping is another American tradition, and it’s on the rise. The number of families going on summer camping trips, renting cabins or boats, or traveling in RVs keeps increasing, meaning more demand on campgrounds, RV parks, lodges, and marinas. (All statistics taken from the 2018 KOA American Camping Report.)
- More than 6 million new North American households have begun camping since 2014
- The number of campers who camp 3 or more times each year has increased by 64%
- 45% of all campers said they intend to camp more often in 2018
- 6 out of 10 millennial households tried some type of camping or lodging in 2017
- One-fourth of all campers use an RV; about 44% of that group do not own the RV they use
- 6 out of every 10 camping nights are spent on public lands and campgrounds
Clearly, the tradition of camping is still alive in many American households. Owners of campgrounds, lodges, RV parks, state and provincial park campsites, B&Bs, and marinas should prepare for booming business in 2019. Guest Tracker Reservation Management Software can help manage reservations and activities, and provide solutions for POS and credit card processing. Contact us today to book a demo.